Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Unto one of the least of these

"Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." ~Matthew 25:40

Tonight as I was driving home from work. I was on a busy stretch of road with cars in front of me and behind me. We came to a red light at a very busy intersection. Up about five cars ahead of me there was a black man standing on the side of the road. I could tell by looking at him he was homeless or in a bad way. It was a hot day and nobody was rolling their windows down or looking in the man's direction. Yet he stood there hoping for someone to have mercy on him. 

I was in my nice comfortable air conditioned car heading to Krystal's to get my family some hamburgers for supper. The Lord had blessed me with a little extra cash this past week so I reached in the glove box and got  one of my favorite Bible tracts, stuck a five dollar bill in it and rolled down my window. When the light turned green I eased up with my hand out the window and the man stepped off the curb and took it with a very warm "thank you." I said "you're welcome buddy," and I drove on by. So, I was out five dollars, big deal. All  that means is that I might have to go without some small comfort, like a coke or a sausage biscuit. But, that five dollars could very well be the only money that man has to his name. Sure, the money won't change his life, but perhaps he will read the Bible tract and the Lord could get ahold of him and change him forever. 

The only reason I am writing about this is because I want to give you something to think about. Next time you see someone in need, someone less fortunate than you are, why not offer them something? Everybody needs to feel loved. Everybody wants to feel like they are worth something. You never know what little thing you do might do for someone else. 

In closing, I'd like to remind you of this passage of Scripture: 
Mat 25:33-46
33  And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34  Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36  Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38  When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39  Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43  I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44  Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45  Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46  And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before being published. Any comment that contains profanity, sexual remarks, or disparaging words will be deleted.