Monday, February 4, 2013

How are you redeeming the time?

‎I once knew a Pastor that was always down on other Pastors who were educated. In fact, he carried a real chip on his shoulder about it. He made the statement that he "didn't have time to go back to school" because he was just "too busy." The odd thing was he seemed to have a tremendous amount of time to do other things that were non church or work related. After knowing him for some time, I realized his real problem wasn't that he didn't have time, it was just that he was lazy. He didn't want to take time for an education.

The truth is, you will find the time to do the things you really want to do. If you want to know the Bible you will find time to read it. If you want to have a prayer life you will find time to pray. If you want to get an education you will find time to be educated. If you want to go to church you will find time to go to church. The same goes for fishing, eating, partying, shopping, watching television, sleeping etc.

The Apostle Paul in writing to the Church at Ephesus, writes this: "See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." ~Ephesians 5:15-16. 

Me graduating with my Bachelor's Degree
I was once a fool trying to make my way through life. When I was in high school all I wanted to do was get out. My parents warned me over and over that I should go to college immediately after school but I just assumed they were crazy. Instead, I got married and worked a minimum wage job. Every morning I would get up at 6:00 A.M. so I could be on the job at the nursing home to sweep, mop, and wax floors. I hated that job with all of my being; I was miserable. It finally dawned on me that if I didn't do something about it, I would be mopping floors the rest of my life. So, I enrolled in an Electronic school and earned my A.S. in Electronics. Soon afterwards, I was able to get a job working in that field. After a few years I decided that wasn't enough either, so I worked in my full time job and went to college in the evenings and earned a B.S. in Management. Soon afterwards I was able to get an even better job working for one of the largest manufacturing companies in the world. Eventually I felt God leading me to get even more education and I applied to Crown College & Seminary and was accepted. This coming May, after 3 years of Seminary studies, I plan to graduate with a Master's Degree in Ministry. I did this while working full time, pastoring full time, and being a full time husband and father to 3 children. Was this an easy feat? No! In fact, it was very difficult but somehow I found time to do it.

Let me ask you something; are you satisfied with where you are in life right now? Are there things you wish you could do but it just seems that they are out of reach? Does it seem to you that everyone else is getting ahead or "much luckier" than you? Friend, luck has very little to do with it. The real question is, how are you redeeming the time?

Why don't you make the decision right now to turn things around? Pray and ask the Lord to help you to find time or to make time to walk circumspectly as He would have you to walk. He will help you, I am living proof!

1 comment:

  1. Every kid should read this. What a difference it could make in their lives if they would just realize that there is more to life than just having fun. Sounds like a great family devotion to me!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated before being published. Any comment that contains profanity, sexual remarks, or disparaging words will be deleted.