Thursday, July 10, 2014

Would You Watch That If the Lord Jesus Was Beside You?

As I was preparing my sermon last week about Christian Separation, I was  wondering about some popular television shows that some of my Christian friends seem to enjoy so much, so I did a little investigating.

One show in particular is called "Game of Thrones." This is an HBO show which is one of the most popular shows on cable television. It was just nominated for 19 Emmy Awards. I was absolutely shocked and sickened when I read the Parental Rating information on IMDB.com: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

Another one is a show called "True Blood." This is apparently a show about Vampires which should immediately throw up red flags to any true Christian as we are not to have anything to do with things like that. However, as I mentioned, some of my Christian friends talk about this show like it is the best thing on television. Again, reading the Parental Ratings on this show will turn one's stomach: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844441/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

Quite frankly I am saddened and burdened that some of my friends seem to be okay with allowing this into their homes and lives. You can get mad at me all you want for saying this but our Christian liberty does not make it okay to watch such filth. We can't allow our eyes to see such things and ears to hear such things and minds to absorb such things and still be in fellowship with the Lord. "...what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? ~2 Corinthians 6:14b"

As I said in my sermon on Sunday, if you are ever in doubt to whether or not you should watch something, simply imagine that the Lord Jesus was sitting beside you on the couch or in the movie theater while you are watching it. If you could not sit there with the Lord and watch it then you have no business watching it at all. Living under Grace and not the law does not relieve us from our moral consciousness. The Apostle Paul writes this in Romans 6:15: "What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid."

Perhaps you have fallen into the trap of thinking it is okay to allow sinful things into your life? If you have, you need to understand that you are living in sin and you need to repent and seek forgiveness from the Lord. To repent from such a thing means that you never intend to do it again. You have had a change of mind and heart and are turning from that and to the Lord. Would you please consider what I have written and be honest with yourself and the Lord today?

If you would like to listen to the message that I preached on Christian Separation, please click on the sermon link below for the sermon titled: Operation Separation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before being published. Any comment that contains profanity, sexual remarks, or disparaging words will be deleted.